Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Traditions...kind of a novel

Christmas Morning
{I love Julia's hair!}
Tradition: the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation
It seems like the holidays revolve around family traditions. I love thinking about the ways we celebrated Christmas and New Years as a family before I had my own kids. Since we've started our own family we had pretty much done the same things we had before...every other year. Because we're sharing with two families {mine and Todd's} we decided to make it even and go to one side of the family's Thanksgiving and the other side of the family's Christmas Eve. It seemed to be working out pretty well...and then my mom and dad went on a mission. So for two years we just did everything with Todd's family. Now that my mom and dad are back we just assumed we would start back into the normal routine of every other. Thanksgiving was spent w/Todd's family so Christmas Eve was supposed to be spent with my family. We had a Christmas B-day party the week before at my parents and after that my mom and dad had decided they weren't up for doing a Christmas Eve with all those wild children running around the house. They thought it would be better if we started doing our own family traditions. Kandice and I made a fuss about it when we found out because It's TRADITION! You don't break TRADITION!! I came home and told Todd that we could either go with his family for Christmas Eve or start our own family tradition. He was excited to stay home and do our own thing. That changed my attitude and I thought we could do something fun to start this new tradition of ours. Then later, my mom and dad had talked about it and decided to do something after all and invited us if we wanted to come. I would have gone...if Todd was on board. He still wanted to do our own family thing. So this year started a new tradition for us. Being on OUR OWN! {I know...scary}
Todd went hunting all day and I tried to get the house cleaned up for something that evening. I really wanted to go to Zions {because we live so close} and walk around in the dark and talk about the Christmas story but it was so windy over here that it didn't sound as fun as I thought in my head. So after dinner {which consisted of BBQ ribs, quail that Todd had hunted that day..and is a personal favorite of Porter's, green salad, homemade bread, and some steamed carrots all served on our favorite Christmas dishes....mmmm} I tried to get the real meaning of Christmas in the kids heads. We read about Christ's birth in the Book of Mormon and what the signs of his coming would be. Then we talked about why we give presents and whose birthday it was. Payton and I argued for a bit over it being Santa's or Jesus' birthday. I gave in and let him think it was both. All this time Todd is laying on the couch taking a little nap because the day of hunting had just taken it out of him...I guess. Then we could hear fireworks going off and we watched them while we put on our new pj's {another tradition}. Then we got in the car and drove around looking at all the lights. I gotta admit I was not happy when we started because it just wasn't how I envisioned the night to go {mostly the part about how Todd wasn't helping share in the teaching of the "True Meaning Of Christmas"} but after listening to him talk to the kids about all the cool lights I couldn't help but start laughing. He was doing his best to make his voice the most excited he could at EVERY house that had lights. Even the houses with just a porch light on he'd get the kids to look at it. We came home, got some cookies and milk ready and a bowl of sugar for Santa's reindeer and then it was off to bed. The kids were in bed at 9:30 and asleep at 9:40. Santa never had it so easy. We had to lock the door to the room where the gifts were so the kids wouldn't go in and peek in the middle of the night. They were bound and determined to see Santa and give him a big hug. Payton wanted to sleep under the tree so he could see Santa. Not only Christmas Eve but Christmas Day has traditions as well. Todd's mom usually makes a yummy brunch and then we open presents at her house then we have a dinner around 3 that afternoon with most of her family. This year we opted out of the brunch and enjoyed seeing our kids play with their Christmas presents until it was time to head over for the dinner. It was actually nice to not be in a rush to get places. Even G-pa and G-ma Turek came over {with some left over goats milk -aka eggnog- from the night before} to see what Santa had left.
So another Christmas is over and a new year is approaching.
Another year to start more traditions...the things that make memories for the future.

5 comments:

Cluffers said...

Don't ya wish you would have come over to the parents house? We sure had fun, but it is always fun to start your own traditions. Way to go sister! Glad to see that Santa came and left those rowdy kids some presents.:)

Tiffani said...

That was a bit of a novel. Good thing you got a picture of Todd on the couch asleep! Wouldn't want to forget his contribution to the memories.

Ashton & Nikell Dodge said...

sounds like you guys had a fun christmas and are starting some fun traditions!

Angie said...

Starting traditions for our own little families can be a lot of work for us moms, but our kids will remember them! Looks like you had a great Christmas!

Morgie said...

sounds good!!! hey I think i remember that little baby set thing!!! Santa had the same thing we gave to Kandice and Dave!!! ha ha ha who's tent was that? it's pretty shiny and cool!!!