Tuesday, December 8, 2009

1000 by Christmas

I've started doing something this year that I never thought I'd get into...ok so I really didn't start until the last quarter of the year, but I'm loving it! What is it you ask?? INDEXING from the church website. A friend at work told me she was doing this {which is why she doesn't blog or do the facebook thing--she does this instead} and she got me to check it out. The warning when you sign up is pretty accurate. It can be a little addicting. It's my late night activity when I feel like I need to do something more than blogstalk other people. I'm only 32 names away from making my goal but I thought it might motivate others {or myself if I'm reading this and I've stopped doing something like this} to get into family history one way or another. Last night I did death certificates {which is an indexing first for me} and although some of them I found a little creepy {like the guy who died at the age of 40 something because of an airplane accident. He was partially decapitated by the blade hitting a rock--yeah, you can read what the autopsy report says} it was pretty interesting. I like to read the different names and see how old they were...stuff like that. I get a little sad when I index the deaths of kids and babies. Reminds me of my sisters and how hard something like that is on a parent. Of course you don't have to index death certificates. You get to choose what you want to index. Check it out...if you have nothing to do {or want something worthwhile to do on the computer}

5 comments:

Ashton said...

haha.. for young womens we are required to do indexing.. it's lame at my age..

KT Bundy said...

Good for you! You'll have to show me how to do it! My sister does it and really enjoys it!

Cluffers said...

I have never heard of it. I will have to try sometime!

Andrus Family said...

So I need to hear more about this indexing, I definitely waste way too much time on the computer, so it would be nice to feel like I am doing something constructive. Tell me more please. Or maybe I should just call you!

Cook Family said...

It's great! I was doing two years ago when it first started. I was almost up to 50 names a day. But then I had Jocelyn and I haven't done it since. I loved it and I need to get back to doing it again.