Monday, December 14, 2009

A Lesson In Follow-Through

This morning I needed to get to the store and get a few things and Payton wanted to ride his bike to school. I was in my bathroom doing Julia's hair when Payton left so I wasn't really sure when he had gone. He negelcted to tell me goodbye. I've let Payton ride his bike to school alone before when I'm going to store because I usually leave a little after him and see him waiting at the cross walk on my way. Today I left quite a bit later than he did so when I didn't see him at the cross walk I assumed he was already there.
Porter, Julia, Khloee and I all went to WalMart, got our shopping done and headed home (an hour later). When I rounded the corner I saw the garage door open and thought what an idiot I was because I thought I had closed it. When I pulled in, I saw Payton's bike and thought he must have had an accident at school or something so he had to come home. I walk in the door and the kid is sitting in the chair watching ICE AGE 3!! When I ask why he's not at school he said, "I forgot my back pack and I'm not sure what time I have to leave." {WHAT?} We grabbed his backpack, jumped back in the car and headed to school...an hour and fifteen minutes late. Come to find out he never even made it to school because he had turned around to get his backpack and when he came back no one was here to tell him to get his little rump back to school instead of sit in front of the TV. I was tempted to just let him stay home but what would he learn from that? I hope he enjoys the last hour and half of school today. Chalk one up to me for learning that my kindergarten kid is not as big as I thought. What did I expect?? Just 'cause he's turning six tomorrow doesn't mean he has sprouted a sense of what's really right and wrong.

6 comments:

Cluffers said...

Ok you are a brave mom! But that is hilarious! That boy makes me laugh all the time. He is definitely like his mother!

Chris and Kathy Hurst said...

I hate to be the "bearer of bad news", Misty... but even at almost 16 & 18- they STILL have to be babysat! That's too funny though! I could so see Payton doing that!

The Andra Family said...

Too funny, and almost scary. Hey, at least he didnt' call 911 and tell them he was home alone. I will have to get with you to find out more about the Indexing thing.

Tiffani said...

I am a little hurt that he didn't call me to come and get him. I guess the movie was more enticing than what aunt Tiff could have provided for him. (Oh yea, I was at work anyway, wasn't I.)

AdaMartha said...

Sooo, Misti, can I view your "fit 5" blog? If so, let me know! I need some ideas for me and my sisters!!!

Morgie said...

That was cute! I was shocked when he was watching Ice age 3! And I thought he was excited for school!!! (when I was there)