Sunday, October 4, 2009

Grandma Ila

Grandma Ila, Alanson, Porter & Aunt Ada 2007

We found out first thing this morning that Todd's Grandma Ila passed away early in the morning hours in her sleep. I've known her for longer than most people know their husbands grandmas. Who knew I'd end up marrying her grandson years later. She was in my home ward growing up and I was quickly called to repentance of my opinion of her when I started dating Todd. She was always in the ward choir and although she didn't have the greatest of voices, she at least tried!
In our early married years she was always giving us loaves of bread, bread sticks, chicken noodle soup....you know, things grandma's bake and like to give away. She was always giving and thinking of others when she really didn't have anything to give or should have given anything. I can't count the number of times she gave our kids (and Todd and I) money in birthday or Christmas cards when she could have used the money more for herself--and should have used it on her self for things she really needed.
She will be missed but I'm glad my children got to know her before she passed away. One cute thing Porter said today I need to write down because I liked it. Lately, well since the rodeo, Porter's been telling me about a rodeo in Heaven that has cowboys riding horses and there is water spraying while they ride. He calls it a water rodeo in heaven. Well, when I told him this morning that Grandma Ila had died and was in heaven now he said, "Is she riding in the water rodeo?" I had to smile and tell him it was possible. I just didn't know, but I do know she's with loved ones that have passed before her, one being Todd's dad Dennis and little brother Trent. What a great reunion it must have been.

4 comments:

Tav and Aims said...

That is so sweeet.. Porter and Payton are so precious and already have sweet little testimonies... I know she was a very sweet lady I just wish I could have gotten to know her better! I miss you guys, it has been a while! We shalll see you this weekend though!
Love you all!
-Aims

Andrus Family said...

What a sweet lady, was this a surprise? Let me know if you need anything.

Cluffers said...

Porter makes me laugh! I can just see G-ma Ila riding in that rodeo right now. She was always thinking of others that woman!

Angie said...

How ironic that she was in your ward growing up! She sounds like such a sweet woman.