Monday, June 23, 2008

This might Get Your Goat!

My grandpa was a rancher and raised cattle and sheep. He passed away when I was young so I didn't get to know him well, but I'm sure if he had any sense of humor and had seen his granddaughter's skills he would have been laughing so hard that it would give Tears in Heaven a new meaning. Our neighbor, Santa (that's what the kids call him because of the beard), had a goat. He kept it penned up and on a chain right next to the wall where the kids could peek over and tell DJ (that's the goat) hello every now and then. As I was getting ready to go to the bank today I noticed ol' DJ was out of Santa's gate and running down the street. I ran to Santa's to see if he knew and by the look on his face, he knew. We chased that goat from Main Street down to 300 West all the way down to Telegraph street (for those who know Washington from my house down to the Staheli Barn). Just when we thought we had it cornered DJ showed us how stupid we really were. Just picture an old bearded man, a pregnant woman with her two children trying to catch a goat that didn't want anything to do with them. After an hour of being out in 100 degree weather Santa called it quits and said "He's got water and grass, let's just leave him". And with that, we got into our air conditioned car and went about our day. I guess I'm not as intimidating as I thought because I couldn't seem to get that darn goat turned the right way so we could just chase it on home. Nothin' but good memories for Santa, Payton and I. Hope DJ has a good life...where ever he may roam. --wish I had a picture to share but...well, you understand.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Thanks for the good laugh. That is such a funny experience! You are a good sport!

Tiffani said...

I am laughing at your calling Les, Santa. Santa has reindeer, not goats, Misti. Way to chase the goat all over Washington. Nothing beats a good "Goat roundup" on a hot summer day!

Cluffers said...

That is super hilarious! I sure wish I could have seen it happen. Poor Santa with no goat. I guess no presents will be delivered this Christmas!