Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Happy Father's Day, to my own dad, my father in law, my grandparents and of course to my own hubby, Todd! Sometimes Mother's Day is a bummer because it's so close to my birthday and it seems like it all gets celebrated together, but Father's Day is great because I get to just focus on those special men in my life.
First let me tell you some things I remember about my own dad that makes me love him and appreciate him. He's always been a hard worker. I don't remember him staying home from work even when he sounded like death warmed over. I loved going down to Bloomington Elementary with him and he would let us ride the scooters in the gym and watch movies and read books in the library. On special occasions he would get me a pop out of the pop machine which I thought was sooo cool because I didn't need money to get a drink. I remember watching my sister's play ball with my parents and while dad didn't yell much while they played (and mom would yell when it was something good, "Good One!") I remember the coaches corner when the game was over. I don't remember being coached in the corner much, probably because dad knew I wasn't going to be that great at sports anyway so why try. Or it could have been that there was no room for improvement--I think that was the reason, all right. I loved watching the Jazz games on his bed with him. They could get pretty exciting and that bed is pretty fun to jump on. I loved dancing with him in the kitchen while he made up some melody for us to dance to. You wouldn't know he was such a good singer with all that talk he says now while being in the choir in Nauvoo but he sure could make up some great songs. I loved sharing his chips and salsa with him and although I hated helping hold up the tomato plants in the garden while he tilled up the garden I loved eating his tomato's when they were juicy and red. I sure loved dog piling and shoving my hands in his arm pits to get a reaction. Of course there are so many other memories, Christmas, family reunions, camping, his big belch after dinner but always telling mom thanks for the meal, the list goes on and on.Dad, thanks for all the great memories and especially for teaching me the gospel in my life. I think that's one of the reasons I feel obligated to my church callings is because of the example my dad set for me. He was always dedicated to his callings in the church. I love you dad!

Of course Father's Day wouldn't be complete without telling my own hubby what a great dad he is. The boys love him and Porter is always asking to go fishing...at not the most opportune time. There are still morning's he wakes up and asks his dad to take him turkey hunting again. I'm glad he loves to take his boys in the hills with him so he can share time and memories with them just like I know he has of his own dad. Dennis (Todd's dad) was Todd's best friend and I know he doesn't want anything different with his own boys. If you ask Payton who his best friend is he'd say Luke but if you ask him who his bud is he'd say his dad. He's a great example of hard work and hard play and he's always getting on me about eating healthy and living right. Glad to have a nutritionist in the family to make me feel guilty. I know the boys love him so much and I'm so glad that we're having another baby (which Todd hopes is a girl) to share the love that our family has to give. Happy Father's Day sweetie! I love you!



2 comments:

Cluff Family said...

Hey Misti! I've just spent the last while reading up on you guys! I'm glad you are enjoying life and your kiddo's are soo cute! I hope you are doing well!
-Jill

Angie said...

Your Dad is a great man. I have always liked him. Todd sounds like a wonderful father. I could use a nutritionist in my house with all the junk I've been eating. I've got to stop this sweet tooth or my baby weight will never go away.