Wednesday, August 17, 2011

10 Year Anniversary

Todd and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary on the 10th of this month. Of course we wanted to do something fun because it's our 10th year together but because Jess was only born a couple weeks ago...what could we do? We just didn't feel like dinner was enough. So after a brain storming session we decided we'd go to Hatch for the weekend. It just didn't feel right that we pawn our kids off on anyone so we took the whole family. What a way to celebrate, right? We left Friday night after Todd got off work--and we got everything packed. We went through Zion's Park which is supposed to be shorter from where we live but it turned out taking us much longer because of the traffic. Because we took the "short cut" I could show my kids my grandma's house in Mt. Carmel and tell a couple memories I had of going to my grandma's. We got to Hatch too late to mow lawns (which was part of our job while we were there) so we just unloaded the truck, ate too many cookies and peanut butter bars, watched a movie and then called it a night. Payton was the only one willing to sleep out on the bed in the front room. Julia and Porter were both too scared to sleep in the other bed alone. So, our first night (and second, I guess) was spent with Porter and Todd in one room and Julia, Jess and I in the other room. So romantic, right?
The next morning Todd came in WAY too early... 7am. He was ready to get going. Does he know who he married?? I was not excited to get up--I blame it on the fact that we didn't go to bed until 12am and then I had to fee Jess a couple times through the night. While I made breakfast, Todd got to sleep on the bed while the kids watched more "Dark Wing Duck". After breakfast we loaded up the truck with hiking and picnic items and we were off for our fun filled day. Our first hike was to a waterfall and Mossy Cave. It was a short hike which is what I needed--it being only 2 weeks before I was laying in a hospital bed pushing a baby out.
It was really pretty and fun to see the kids hiking and enjoying the sunshine.
After our hike we went to Kodachrome Park. I wasn't all that impressed with what my $6 paid for but it was still cool to see a couple places I hadn't seen before. We stopped in Cannonville at the park for a picnic after that. It was good to get out, stretch our legs, eat some sandwiches and spin on the merry-go-round for a while. The next few hours were a blur because I was so tired I fell asleep in the truck while we drove to pick up Todd's trail camera out in the desert. I probably would have thought it was worth the gas to pick it up but there was NOTHING living on the pictures it picked up. (well, I take that back. It did take a picture of a bird and Todd walking away from it).
We drove back to Escalante where Todd was going to leave Porter and the girls while he, Payton and our neighbor Tyler were going to go fishing on Boulder Mountain. Todd must have taken the hint that I wasn't looking forward to spending the next four hours at someone's house waiting for him to get back. We decided to just head back to Hatch instead--although Payton made me feel guilty while he cried about not getting to go fishing, and Porter just wanted to play in Escalante with Carsen.
When we got home (to the Hatch House) we mowed the lawns and then had dinner. After that, Todd and Payton went fishing while Porter, Julia, Jess and I all went up to the park in Hatch. It had been a long day of driving and dirt so we hit the tub and got ready for bed. The next day was Sunday and we were going to attend the Sacrament meeting in Hatch. I slept much better the next night...or maybe it was because Todd wasn't in waking us up at the crack of dawn. I actually had to come into wake him up (around 9) so I could get breakfast started--Waffles and Eggs! Yum!!
We didn't do much on Sunday but lay around and watch more cartoons and of course I had a great nap. When I woke up, Todd had gone for a "drive", Julia was asleep in the other room, Jess was still asleep in her car seat, and the boys were still watching cartoons. It was time to clean the house and call it a weekend. Too bad school started the next day or we would have spent one more night there.
It was a nice get-a-way before school started and a fun way to spend our 10 year mark...at least it was something more than just dinner.

No comments: