Saturday, May 14, 2011

Fire Season

Fire season has begun, already! It seems like in years past it has been in mid June or July before Todd gets called out on his fires. They called Tuesday night while he was at YM's and he was supposed to leave for Pheonix, AZ the next day. He got all packed that night and then I was off to work the next morning and haven't seen him since. 
I guess when he got to where he was supposed to go they told him the fire was already out. So, they reassigned him to another fire burning in New Mexico. He spent the night at a cheap hotel and then was off to the new area the next morning. He was told that they would probably spend two weeks on this fire. Can I be a single pregnant mother for two weeks?? Yes, yes I can. So far it hasn't been too bad. Of course it's only been four days and we haven't had to go to church yet. Crossing my fingers that I still have some hair at the end of tomorrow--it's always nice to have Todd at church so I can focus on what needs to be done for Primary--what teachers didn't get subs, what teachers subs didn't show up...you know, they usual Primary worries.
As much as I love the money Todd makes during the fire season I still miss him and get a little too lax in our family habits. The kids have been going to bed much later than normal since their dad has been gone. It's just one of those things that has been easier to let go than it has been to enforce. The sun isn't helping when it doesn't go down until 9pm. And then there's the subject of cooking dinner. I haven't done that since Todd left either. One night it's left overs, the next it's pizza and tonight we did hot dogs. HOT DOGS?? bleh! I usually only like them when we're camping but I must say that my dog tonight was mighty tasty!
Tonight was the first night that Julia really said anything about wondering where daddy was. I'm surprised. I think she was just using it as an excuse to stay awake a little bit longer.
It's so nice to live close to family when my hubby is gone because they are so willing to help out wherever and whenever you need help. It will be nice to have a good home cooked meal tomorrow (not by me of course). We're invited to Todd's mom's for dinner...which may be one of the last one's all together with his family for a while. Todd's little bro and his wife are moving to California. We'll miss seeing Uncle Tav and Aunt Amie. I hope Todd makes it home in time to say goodbye to them before they leave.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Oh man, I feel your pain. You have it worse though with being pregnant and 2 weeks without your husband. John was only gone for 10 days and I'm not even pregnant. I hope all goes well and I'm glad you have a lot of family around to help you.