Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Do it Myself

Because Todd's gone there are things that I figure, "Who needs a man?? I can do that!" Well, changing the headlight in my car was one of them...so I thought. I went to the auto parts store, gave them the info they needed and they helped me choose the correct bulb that I needed. I came home and got to work. I followed the instructions step by step. Unfortunately I was struggling with step #2. I couldn't get the connector to loosen from the bulb. After trying and trying, my neighbor came over and saw I was playing mechanic. She told me she was going to get her hubby to help. I thought I could just hurry and get it changed before he even got back over to my house. Wrong! Well, at least I got to step #3 when he came to help.
Tyler, that's the neighbor, loosend the bulb and then went to put the new bulb in. In the mean time, my other neighbor, Kasey, came over to help too. If two men can't do it what made me think I could do it? (to their credit they would have been done really quickly if they had what they needed...read on)
They worked and worked on getting the new bulb back in but it just wasn't fitting. They finally came to the conclusion that it was not the same size of bulb and I needed to take it back and get the right one. I jumped in the car and ran to Hurricane to exchange the bulb. Then I hustled back because it was getting dark. We fit the new bulb in--no problem!! Amazing! What a difference the right bulb makes, right?
Well, this is where the story gets good. The light still didn't work because I had replaced the wrong bulb. I had the correct part the first time, I was just trying to put it in the wrong spot. Whooops! So today I ran to the auto parts store again and actually bought the exact same bulb I had the day before (I could tell because of the tape job I did on the box). This time, I didn't need any man power because the old bulb had already been disconnected. I placed the new bulb in (the right place this time) and TADA! It worked!!
So the lesson here is, don't be afraid to ask for help even if your pride tells you it can be done alone. It's great to have neighbors that are so willing to help out a single prego woman while her hubby is out of town for a while!

2 comments:

Doug Kaeli & Paisley said...

I loved that story. I pictured you the whole time. I hate when stuff like that happens to me. That is hilarious.

The Slacks said...

You're so funny! You are kind of an independent one aren't you? I'm glad you got it to work and I'm glad you have such helpful neighbors!