Monday, March 30, 2009

Bad Habits worth breaking....but how?

Our family has gotten into some bad habits lately and I'm not talking about chewing our fingernails here. That one just belongs to me. I'm talking about our night activity. It should involve deep breathing, drooling and a possible snore now and then but it doesn't seem to be that way right now. Todd's allergies have been so bad this year that he is constantly blowing his nose, coughing or some other respiratory activity that is not quiet enough for me to keep my eyes closed. It wouldn't be a problem but Julia still sleeps in our room and it seems to wake her up too. Even though I know she doesn't need it I end up feeding her just to get her to go back to sleep--it's just easier? Lazy I know but easier.
Well, as if that wasn't enough, down he hall where the boys are sleeping only one knows how to stay in his bed. Porter always wakes up crying for mom or needing the hall light on or his primary music has stopped. Last night I turned his music on at 1am and 4am--not my idea of fun!
I remember reading Angie's blogs about not getting enough sleep and thinking how that could be possible? NOW I KNOW! I just get tired of being tired!
So, this blog is a vent as well as a cry for help. Any of you have suggestions besides me moving to the garage in a sleeping bag--because it might just come to that :)
On a good note though, Payton has been staying in his bed without a problem and he's finally getting to the point that he can stay dry at night...FINALLY! Darn those small bladders!

4 comments:

Andrus Family said...

Sorry no words of advice. Maybe you and Julia could bunk up with Payton for a few days and put Porter in with Todd. Good luck!!!!

Cluffers said...

Good luck on all that. I have no idea what you are going through. I cry poor me when Emmie wakes up at 5:00 and just needs a drink to go back to bed. So there ya go!

Shannon said...

The only advice I have to offer is for you to scale the wall at our house and come sleep in the guest room. Lincoln kicks the wall all night, but you could probably get at least a few hours. My allergies have been crazy too! David feels your pain!

Krystal Trapnell said...

Misti! Fun to find your blog (via a comment you left on Angie's). I hear you on the sleep thing--I am constantly wondering when I am going to consistently get a good night's sleep. I have no answer.

I think until you move the baby out of your room, you can't do anything differently (unless you have some great ear plugs).

My little girl has struggled with sleep, and one thing that has helped her was to create "sleep rules." Basically, we made a list of her rules (stay in bed, close your eyes, lay very quiet, stay in bed all night). If she followed all the rules, she got a little treat in the morning. I think it was more of the responsibility she was taking for herself and not the dum-dum that motivated her, but whatever. She still sometimes chooses not to follow her sleep rules, but is doing much better. Good luck! Also, if you want an invite to my blog, send me an email at espyk at yahoo dot com.