Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!!

Today is my mom's birthday. She's ....well...let's see. How old are you mom? She's old enough to be a grandma so there you go!
Here's some great things about my madre...

-She's too honest--while I was growing up she couldn't lie. If someone called and we didn't want to talk to them on the phone she made us go outside so she could tell them we weren't in the house right then.
-She's always been one to find something to cook instead of going out to eat--eating out when I was younger was a luxury. I wish I could eat out of my food storage like she does. Make a meal out of peaches if she had to.
-She loves her kids and grand kids--I think (or I like to think) that is the hardest part of her serving a mission right now. She's learning how to love her hubby more than her kids but all of you who know my dad know that's going to be difficult (no offense dad)
-She's always willing to serve others and doesn't know how to say no--She's always been one to take meals into people who need them, watch people's kids (including her own kids kids) and do whatever she's asked to do.
-She is the best baby rocker I ever knew! She can sit in a rocking chair all day long and rock babies while humming a song. She reminds me of my Grandma Esplin when it comes to her rocking and humming. (that's a good thing, mom!)
-I loved having her as the YW president while I was in YW's--she got the name Shauna-mom because a lot of other yw's moms were serving at the same time. Just saying mom got everyone's attention. Shaunamom just got the mom I wanted.
-She is a speed walker--Anywhere we went with mom we had to have our running shoes on because she had a purpose for going somewhere and that's what we did. WE WENT! I still remember trying to keep up with her while we were in the mall one day.

I love you mom and hope you had a fabulous (even if it's FREEZING there) birthday! We miss you and are soooo looking forward to seeing you in April!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Here's a little birthday message from Payton and Porter. They've been sick so that's the excuse for the way they look--even though they look like this when they're well.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Happy b-day to your mom! What a great lady! I remember you telling me about how she would have you go outside if it was someone you didn't want to talk to. That is so funny!

rayndrop said...

What a sweet daughter your mama has! I'm sure you don't fall far from the tree. I got your note and it warmed my heart. Those boys are sweet and I hope they get feeling better. Oh and I enjoyed the angel voice in the background accompanying them on the song.

Andrus Family said...

I remember going to the mall with you and your mom and she was exchanging some shoes or something at Payless (way back when it was in the mall). Anyway we left and she realized that they had given her too much money so she turned around and went back. I remember it being a small amount of money and the worker just told her to keep it, but she insisted and insisted on giving it back. She was also very nice to let me hang out with you EVERY day after school until my mom would pick me up after work on the corner by Shaylee's house. She also gave me her Bran Muffin recipe which we LOVE!!! Good times!! Happy Birthday!!

Brook & Travis said...

Misty...How are you guys? It's Brook Brinkerhoff (Wash. 4th ward days) Saw your comment on Nichole Cooks blog (college friend) and thought I'd say hi! Congrats on your baby girl...she's adorable! And your boys are so big now. Cute family!

Morgie said...

It looked like something was wrong with Porter because I couldn't hear him very well. Payton looks okay.

Tav and Aims said...

Happy B-day to you're momma! Payton and Porter are so dang cute. Poor little Porter is all sick.. Or were you saying both of them? Well I hope you all get feeling better and I am excited to see you tomorrow! Love you guys!!

Ashton said...

haha I love Payton and Porter they are so dang funny! I hope that they get betta. Happy b-day G-ma!!