Friday, December 5, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008--Too many memories

I was they only one in this Calico bunch that was enjoying the lights and atmosphere at Temple Square

Family photo at Temple Square--Believe me, this is a good picture

Porter and Emmie take a nap on the way to Temple Square

A few of the kids ready for the Nature hike

Bradley leading all the cousins on a rope for a Nature Hike


Instead of writing a novel about Thanksgiving this year I'll just give a few "highlights" if that's what you would call them
1. Had to talk Todd into going to Layton -- where my brother lives-- for thanksgiving this year.

2. Payton had to ride with Luke instead of with his boring family

3. Had to stop in Cedar (yes, Cedar which is soooo far away from La Verkin) for a potty stop that ended in changing a pair of Payton's clothes.

4. Had to make another potty stop for my boys to pee on the side of the road.

5. Got buckled back into our seats to find out Payton needed to do more than pee. Because he didn't want to poo on the side of the road he said he would hold it.

6. Made it to Payson to eat dinner at Wendy's and use the restroom. Payton was the first one in the bathroom and the last one out because of another accident. Todd got to help him clean up while I waited outside the mens room listening to comments from other bathroom patrons. My favorite was a father & his son. When they came out the boy had a scrunched up face and was telling his dad how discusting it was in there. Wish it wasn't my son, but I have to take the blame for the accident. Payton's new pants are not kid friendly and hard to button and unbutton.

7. While Todd was cleaning up Payton in the men's room I took Julia to the ladies room because she had a blow out.

8. Finally made it to Layton to find Porter had peed his pants too.

9. Rick had a friend who was going to be out of town for the weekend and offered her house for his family to use. No one was going to use it but because of my hubby's great attitude we ended up using it for our family. The kids and I were both thrilled when we had to leave the party at 11pm to go to a strangers house for the night. (that was VERY sarcastic)

10. All the big boys went and played football with a crew from Rick's ward at the park...everyone's husband but mine went although I had told him to bring clothes so he could play. He went for a walk with Porter instead.

11. Had a fabulous Thanksgiving Dinner--Thanks Katherine! (That was NOT sarcastic at all)

12. Digested our food, played ping pong and made our shopping lists for BLACK FRIDAY's extravaganza.

13. Woke up to Kandice's call (at my request) at 4 am to let me know they were headed to Wal Mart. She volunteered to get my items for me...I took the offer. I definitly got more sleep than my sisters even though I'm nursing Julia. I knew babies didn't like their moms to have a lot of chocolate but I didn't realize that Pepsi applied the same way. Lesson learned.

14. Played more ping pong, cleaned up breakfast, hung around waiting for my sisters to wake up and tell their stories about the shopping trip. This is the first year that I know of that Rick didn't go.

15. Hung out with family while the husbands took a trip out to Antelope Island. They dind't want to take any of their children. How does that work?

16. Traveled to Salt Lake to get on the "train" to see the lights at Temple Square. This tested our marriage because the tram was so crowded with people and Todd didn't think it was a good idea to go--he's a fan of large crowds if you didn't know.

17. Looked at the lights and managed to get a swell picture at Temple Square. It looks better than everyone in the group was actually feeling.

18. Ate at Chuck-a-Rama where the boys loved their french fries and fry sauce.

19. Went to bed Friday night looking forward to the ride home the next day.

20. Stopped at Cabella's on the way home to see all the neat animals and fish. It only took us about 7-8 hours to get home with all the stops we had to make...but the important thing was that we made it and Todd and I are still happily married.

Thanks, Rick, for letting us invade your family life so we could make some memories. Just finding "Joy in the Journey" was a bit tough for this trip but it was sure a journey.

5 comments:

Cluffers said...

I do have to say that it was a great Thanksgiving. I laughed so hard reading this, Oh good times that is for sure. I agree with making the memories and will ALWAYS Remember them. I had a fabulous time! I am glad that you found joy in the journey!

Angie said...

You have the best sense of humor! I love this post! Road trips are always an adventure with little kids. Your husband probably went right by our house on his way out to Antelope Island. If you ever come up again, you can sleep at my house and not at a strangers. :)

Morgie said...

Too bad I couldn't come up and see all the cousins.

Tiffani said...

I say, it didn't sound like Todd was having much fun, hummm . . . I never got that vibe from him. NOT! OH the memrories we made on just the trip up will supply Kory with great belly laughs for years to come. Just don't let Kory speak in Paytons mission farewell or everyone will know about the 4 P's. (pooping problem in Payson w/Payton).

Todd Calico said...

What the "H", I just found out my wife is making me out to be quite the villain via her blog!