Friday, May 18, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

Some years I don't really enjoy Mother's Day because I have to 'share' my {birthday} with my day to celebrate being a {mom}. Not this year! I enjoyed Saturday night in Vegas for one of my niece's baptism. I took Porter, Julia and Jess with me and left Payton home with daddy. Todd called me while we were there and let me know he had been called out on a fire and he'd be leaving at 4 in the morning. We didn't leave Vegas until really late so we weren't home until about 1am. I honestly don't remember Todd leaving that morning but I know he kissed me goodbye.
Sunday morning was not much different than I expected. I had four tired kids, two of which were very whiney (can you guess which ones?--yup, the ones who had been up too late with me the night before). Payton was complaining about his legs being too itchy {he got swimmers itch from his fishing extravaganza with his dad the day before} AND his pants {that we just bought less than six months ago} are too tight. Hmmm. Imagine that! I still remember walking out the door to get something out of the car and hearing my kids crying in the house. I literally laughed out loud because it always seems funnier when it's Mother's Day. It was tricky getting everyone ready for church and out the door on time but we made it close to the right time. It made me feel better when three other families had to stand in the foyer until the opening prayer ended.
This was our first Mother's Day in this ward and I loved it! They made preparations for all {Yes! ALL} the sisters to be in Relief Society. The men had to step in and teach Primary and Young Women lessons. Then when we were all in the Relief Society room we got to munch on cream puffs covered in chocolate sauce, fresh strawberries, grapes and pineapple, and topped it off with a cucumber sprite drink. We ate, visited, and then listened to a refreshing, honest, and inspiring lesson given by the R.S. President. It was awesome!
We had dinner with Todd's family so at least I didn't have to cook my own mother's day meal. We missed having our dad around but we're glad he made it safely to his destination in Mesa.
I still don't know how long Todd will be gone. There are times when I'm completely overwhelmed and can't wait for the kids to shut their yappers and get into bed. But for the most part, we're getting along ok. I haven't 'cooked' a meal for my family for a week and a half now. I might get used to that. Or I might just have to change my bad habits when Todd gets home and he doesn't feel like eating frozen burritos, chicken nuggets or hot dogs. Imagine that.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Wow - your relief society on Mother's day sounds awesome! I know what you mean about Mother's Day seeming comical when our kids act crazy. My kids were fighting and I just had to laugh!

I am also glad you had a good birthday! You deserve it!