Monday, March 7, 2011

Set Back

My mom was supposed to know by now what treatments to be expecting after her surgery. Monday (last monday, the 28th) my mom woke up to a bloody incision. My dad packed her with gauze and then headed to his shift at the temple. When he returned around noon she was still bleeding and had called and made an appt. with her doctor. They took her into surgery as soon as they could to see if they could find what might be causing the bleeding. They removed a blood clot, letting them know it had bleeding since the surgery a week before but couldn't really tell why else she was having problems.
They kept her over night to try and solve the problem. Her test results wouldn't be back until the next day so they wouldn't know if she had some kind of infection until then but they put her on an IV antibiotic and kept her over night. She was supposed to come home Tuesday but they were still unsure of what was wrong...so they kept her. Wednesday they found she had staff infection but it was the "good kind" --if there's such a thing?-- and had her on antibiotics all day Wednesday. I had to work that day so I called her on my lunch to see how she was doing. I've never heard her so depressed. She was just tired of being in the hospital because she felt so good. She even told me to bring her some laundry so she had something to do.  I told her I would come see her after work to visit and told her to ask the nurses for some tape to tape her mouth into a smile so she could smile even when she didn't feel like smiling.
It was fun to visit with her and I think she was willing to do one more night in the hospital...even though she really didn't feel like being there. She was told that 12 laps around the hospital floor was equivalent to one mile so she walked 24 laps that day just to show everyone how good she really felt!
She finally got to come home on Thursday and she hasn't had the chance to slow down too much since then. All our family was in town Saturday and Sunday because my nephew was receiving his endowment in the St. George Temple getting ready to serve a mission and then Tiffani blessed her baby on Sunday. It's been a full weekend of fun and I'm glad that although my mom had the hospital visit that everything turned out for the best and she's feeling much better (actually she never FELT bad. Just bad things happened to her.)

4 comments:

Krystal Trapnell said...

Sounds like a strange thing to have to go through...glad all is well. And, yes, good thing her staph infection was not the kind that are resistant to antibiotics! Jeff has a friend who has struggled with staph since his mission and has had multiple surgeries trying to correct it!

Thanks for the update!

Angie said...

Sorry about the set back. Glad things are going better now!

Doug Kaeli & Paisley said...

Yikes! I'm glad she is doing good. I miss you and love all of your comments.

Ben and Anna said...

I think I might blog-stalk you now :)
I am glad that your mom is doing better. We've been keeping tabs on her through my parents, and praying for her.