Friday, February 25, 2011

So Far, So Good

The last post I did about my mom wasn't the most "positive" post so this one should make up for that one. Since  then, my mom has had surgery (a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy) and she's feeling really good. She had to have a drain for a few days but she's felt really good. The doctor has told her that he's removed all of the tumor and the next step is for her to start chemo or radiation. The original plan was just to do the radiation treatments so when the doctor mentioned the possibility of doing chemo therapy my parents were a little shocked...they just hadn't been planning on that part for treatment. They won't know until the first week in March when my mom has her follow up visit. Then it will be decided what treatment she will need. The best part is that the doctor was able to remove all of it and it had not gone into the lymph nodes!
My mom is such a trooper and I haven't heard her answer the phone more friendly than she does now. It's almost like nothing can stop her from being happy! (and that makes me happy!)
So there's the update. More to come....

2 comments:

Angie said...

I'm so glad you updated about your mom because I have been wondering how she was doing. I'm glad the surgery went well. I hope all goes well for the next part too. Keep us updated.

Krystal Trapnell said...

So glad things are looking up! For everyone's sake, I hope she can avoid chemo and just do radiation. Chemo is nasty business. I'll be anxiously following your updates...your mom is such a great lady.

Who is her Radiation Oncologist? One of my best friend's husbands was my mom's. Dr. Clake. Just curious.