Friday, June 18, 2010

4:30 am

Here's a riddle. What does this ladder,
and these earplugs
and this 9 volt batteryall have to do with 4:30 in the morning?
It's what I was playing with at that time this morning. Our smoke alarm went off at 4:30 making me jump out of bed. Todd's gone on a fire so I was totally freaked out. I had Porter on the floor of my room and Payton was laying in my bed with me. My nephew Luke was staying with us and he was on the floor of the boys bedroom and of course Julia was in her crib. I seriously thought there was a fire. It was good to know I can hear when I'm sleeping and even better to know that even though I'm old my reflexes still work! There was no fire...just the need of a new battery.
I spent the next 30 minutes bringing the ladder in from the garage, learning how to take the battery out and then learned that even with the battery gone our smoke alarms still can "chirp" at me. I finally ended up going into the boys room to sleep because my pillow over my ears and the lack of being able to find earplugs made me go to the farthest room possible. Let's just say I've had better mornings.
Lesson learned: Have a spare 9 volt battery on hand!

6 comments:

Chris and Kathy Hurst said...

Misti, why does it always seem to happen in the middle of the night??? Why can't batteries to fire alarms die in the middle of the day? (maybe they do, we just don't notice them 'til its night and all is quiet!) I'm sorry- we have extra 9V batteries stashed just for that purpose- next time call us!

Shannon said...

I agree with Kathy. The middle of the night is ALWAYS when our smoke detectors decide to act up. I have been known to totally disconnect a smoke detector in such instances. I am sorry that you had a hard night.

Rach said...

Oh that sucks! honestly--Those things bring out the worst in people.

Tiffani said...

Luke told me the fire alarm went off, he failed to mention that it was the middle of the night when it happened. FUN TIMES!!

The Slacks said...

It would have to happen when Todd was out of town too! That stinks! Nothing like a middle of the night jolt to get your heart going huh? Who needs sleep anyway right?

rayndrop said...

been there, done that. gene and i have woken up. but the kids sleep soundly through it. now that's scary!