Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Sweet Surprise...for Todd

A warning for the girls:
DON'T BE JEALOUS OF ME!
So on my way home from work yesterday I called Todd and asked if he had picked the kids up from Tiffani's. He said he hadn't because he had been delayed and he had a surprise for me when I got home. My first question was, "Is it another dead animal?" He laughed a bit and just said he wouldn't tell me. I'd just have to wait until I got home.
Well, I picked up the kids and hurried home to see the great surprise. It was a surprise but it was greater for Todd than for me. I shared in his joy as he told me the story about our new pet, "The Calico Buck". One of his buddies, Seth, had taken a set of old sheds Todd and his dad had found hunting a long time ago. (for you non-hunting folk I'm not talking about storage sheds. I'm talking about deer sheds--their antlers that fall off every year and Todd loves hiking around finding them) The sheds were old, broken and falling apart but Todd hung onto them because they were a matching set and I think some of it was for sentimental reasons--being that he found them with his dad and all.

Seth took them over a year ago and has been working on them, fixing them up and restoring them to what the original probably looked like. He was working with another of Todd's buddies, Jeff, who does taxidermy and was giving Seth pointers to help him out. Seth was trying to fix them up as a surprise for Todd to give to him. After Seth got them looking good he'd take them to Jeff for more tips on what to do next. After a while of doing this the sheds were looking great and Jeff got the brainy idea that they couldn't just be sheds given to Todd, they needed to go on a body. So these two buddies worked together for over a year on this buck that they now call the Calico Buck. Todd was in awe when they just gave it to him last night. He didn't know what to say because he was so taken back. When he shared the story with me he kept saying, "I don't get it. Why would they do all that for me?" Well, I know why--I married him, duh! It's awesome to see his friends show him by doing something awesome for him. Heaven knows I can't compete with that.
I just need to write a letter to those boys now and let them know the deer on the wall has stolen Todd's eye and I just can't compete anymore. He used to look at me like that. At least when I think we have no money left we will always have two bucks to our name!

The deer on the right is the one from Jeff and Seth and the one of the left Todd shot a couple years ago.

6 comments:

Cade+Sierra+Averlin said...

I love that I finally heard the REST of the story without being INTERRUPTED with a thing called work.. ha ha thats a really cool story though, I am happy for Todd! I kinda got a tear in my eye. But, it maybe be caused from my raging preggo hormones.

The Johnson's said...

Met will be jealous. I totally get the whole sentimental hunting outdoors thing. The hunt is about family and memories. oh yeah and bragging about getting the big one. Men sure will go to a lot of work just to get out of saying I love you man!!!

Tiffani said...

No wonder he didn't come and get the kids. He didn't want them touching his new present before he could get it hung on the wall! What good friends he has. They are almost as nice to him as his family!

Shannon said...

You just need to grow a pair of antlers and Todd will look at you like that again.

*crazy 'bout volleyball* said...

You are the best wife ever! I would have said they look sooooo much better out in the garage! I don't think I would have let him put them in my room. I have to agree, grow some antlers and he will pay attention to you...or don't wear a shirt.j/k

rayndrop said...

good for todd. and thanks for the info. on sheds. it was very helpful.

glad to see you got the link thing down as well. wish i could've been the one to show you how!