Friday, September 9, 2016

Is that light I see?

 pa·tience
noun
  1. 1.
    the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.
    "you can find bargains if you have the patience to sift through the dross"
  2. This is one attribute I wish I had, but apparently need to work on some more...because it's missing from my life. School has been in session for FOUR WEEKS now (how has it already been that long??) and the past three days have been the BEST for Jess and the going to school issues.

Since my last blog post we have gone many rounds with her using bribery, punishments, more bribery, "You're such a big girl" language, tolerance, intolerance, and anything else we could think of to get her to happily attend school. 

Don't believe me? Here's the list: 

Idea #1:Made a chart. For every full week that she can put a happy face on the chart we get a root beer float at the end of the week. (Didn't work...yet)

Idea #2:If she doesn't cry that day she gets to choose a prize out of Miss Trammell's box. (Didn't work until about the 4th day but then we were back to crying the next day)

Idea #3: Walk to school with siblings. (worked the first couple days but then she stopped walking with them and just ran back to the house)

Idea #4: We get to eat lunch at school!! (Again, worked the first two times and then nothing)

Idea #5:If you cry at school you don't get to watch Netflix that day. (that was a long day for her)

Idea #6: Bought a pack of Hubba Bubba bubble gum and everyday she doesn't cry she gets some. The gum had to stay at school with Miss Trammell. (I'm not even sure if she got any of it--might not even be opened yet!)

Idea #7: Stay home and in your room for 3 hours and no TV/Movies/Electronics that day. Surprisingly she didn't complain about this one like I thought she would. She came out of her room three times. Twice to go to the bathroom and once to get a drink. Other than that, no crying or pounding on the door like I thought/expected. However, when I throw this option to her she doesn't want to do this one again.

Idea #8: Walk to Mrs. Sparks (Julia's amazing 1st grade teacher!) class before school (This worked one day as well because her dad took her to school. The time I did it with her she freaked out when it was time for me to leave. I ended up staying in Kindergarten that day for 2 hours looking like a slob in my "stretchy pants" and messy bun)

Idea #9:If you cry you can't ride the 4-wheelers at the Family Reunion. (This worked GREAT!! Too bad we could only use it once!)

I've been working closely with her teacher, Miss Trammell (who is so amazing!!) and the past three days have worked the best. Here's what's happening:
Idea #10: Let Jess go to the office when the bell rings so she can be calmed down by the time she gets to class. 

I have a "meeting" I have to be to in the morning so I'm unable to take Jess to school. I drop them off, in a hurry to get to my "meeting", and Julia walks Jess to the office. At the office she will find different helpers on different days. The first day it was Ms. Young who gave Jess "Five Skittles!!" The next day it was Mrs. Callahan who came and checked on her twice during the day. She even called me and asked if it was ok to take her out of her class and play a game with her next week. She's the school counselor and Jess LOVES her! I'm not too sure who's waiting for her today but I'm sure they will find someone to make Jess feel like she is a queen around the school. When the bell rings, Julia takes Jess to her kindergarten classroom and then Julia heads off to her class--probably late every day :/

Jess is looking forward to today because it will be the THIRD TIME she hasn't cried at school and that means she gets to go pick a prize out of Mrs. Sparks treasure box. Jess is being catered to left and right but honestly I'm at the point that whatever gets her to school without freaking out makes it worth it!

She will ask me the night before if I have a meeting the next morning. I asked her if it would make a difference if I didn't have a meeting and she said, "Yes! I like when you have a meeting because then I don't cry!" Hmmm....interesting child.

Every child is definitely different. Jess is making baby steps at not being my baby anymore. She's made big strides in the last four weeks at home; laying in her bed without mom sitting beside her to hold her hand, and she's getting really good at staying in her own bed all night long.

It's kind of nice to think I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: